App is about to begin their second season in the Sun Belt conference and first season of bowl eligibility. I thought we should take a look at how the conference looks through power rankings:
- Louisiana Ragin Cajuns (7-1, 9-4) Led by Sun Belt Conference preseason offensive player of the year, Elijah McGuire, Louisiana beat Nevada 16-3 in last season’s New Orleans Bowl.
- Georgia Southern (8-0, 9-2) The Eagles rode their rushing attack to an undefeated Sun Belt season last year, and I was poised to give them the #1 spot until the two game suspension of quarterback Kevin Ellison (even though it won’t involve Sun Belt competition).
- Arkansas State (5-3, 7-6) The Red Wolves had the conference’s #2 offense last year, and beat Ball State in the GoDaddy Bowl.
- Appalachian State (6-2, 7-5) Scott Satterfield’s squad ended the season on a 6 game hot streak, and get all three teams above at home this year.
- Texas State (5-3, 7-5) The Bobcats have a chip on their shoulder as they were skipped over for a bowl last season despite having 7 wins.
- South Alabama (5-3, 6-7) The Jaguars had big road wins last season over both Appalachian and Texas State, but graduated a lot of seniors.
- Louisiana-Monroe (3-5, 4-8) The Warhawks will go as far as their defense can carry them. Their total offense was ranked 106th in the country last year.
- Troy (3-5, 3-9) The Trojans bring back Brandon Silvers at quarterback, but will need to see improved production as they were 100th in total offense and 107th in total defense in 2014.
- Idaho (1-7, 1-10) The Vandals seem to be building their offense around the passing attack featuring quarterback, Matt Linehan, but they will need to avoid last year’s turnovers (they ranked 114th in the country in turnover margin).
- New Mexico State (1-7, 2-10) The Aggies only conference win was against Georgia State in Atlanta last campaign. They are 4-20 over two years under head coach Doug Martin.
- Georgia State (0-8, 1-11) The Panthers have one win in two seasons under Trent Miles. They ranked 125th in the country in both turnover margin and total defense last year. If you give the ball away and can’t stop them, well that’s not a winning formula.
Read the full article here: Sun Belt Conference Power Rankings